Friday, January 16, 2009

Aut Disce Aut Discede- Learn or Leave

I noticed today that I always have some sick fascination about being right, or if a subject is brought up I must always throw in my two cents to show my knowledge on such subjects. I think in some way, shape or form we all have that mentality that we have to show some how that we are intellectual beings. I also believe that a person’s potential to become more intelligent is limitless. I do not care what school you attend, be it Yale or West Florida, University of Florida or Florida Southern, what matters is that you apply yourself and learn.
Here at Florida Gulf Coast, I have run into some people who are very moronic. I have also run into people who could very well be the greatest thinkers of our generation. Also, I feel that my professors (who hold degrees from Cornell, U.C. Irving, New York University, University of Chicago, Notre Dame, Harvard, Texas, Ohio State, Florida, George Washington U., Cambridge University (England) Penn., Columbia etc.)
I feel that I am educated to the same standards as everyone else. Because I apply myself, I know that the recognition of the school is a big factor down the line, but I don’t believe that because I chose to go to a smaller school, that I am dumber than anyone else. I am tired of people looking down on the smaller state schools because we are simply growing, or perhaps we chose a smaller environment. I have met people who turn down big name schools to come here, simply because they feel it was a better choice.
One day I hope to continue my education at well-known school, pursue a higher degree, and hopefully I will always continue to learn. And in no way am I talking down any of the great schools in this country, because many of you work hard to get into those prestigious schools, and I am proud of everyone I know who is even in school, because it is so easy to quit.
So for everyone, work hard, and try and learn a thing or two.
Cheers.

1 comment:

`Mike said...

This is very true, a little scary, but very true.